Sunday, May 12, 2013

My Time is Almost Here

My graduation is less then a week away and I would like to share my plans for the future. Many would become chefs of hotels and restaurants by what that one degree would take them. Some would start new restaurants to make a living and live the American Dream as best as they could. A lot of graduates would just settle down for a job and work to make a living until they could not work anymore. For me, it is a different story.

My plans for moving forward is really different. Some say it might be crazy, ridiculous, devious and perhaps taboo for what I worked for all these years in culinary school. Although, My intention now is to still become a chef but not in the same sense.

My idea to become a chef, is to not just cook, but to create. As I worked through the kitchens of my school, I learned so many things about technique, business and how to stay ahead from all the other chefs. Although as I know how to cook like a chef, I start to question why I need to.

Why do I need to know how to cook an egg? Why must I know about how the front of the house works? Why must we all need this information just to get by in life? Is there really a point to cook for others through the same methods that we have been doing for years and years without pushing the envelope?

I ask these questions to really look for what I truly want to be. I know many would think I have made it to the deep end for what I am about to do next, but I feel it is best to try many new things before I am too old and worn out to do so.

What I really want to do, is discover who I truly am. I know, I am Kyle Hedlund but yet I don't really know who "I" am. Am I supposed to stay in the same kitchen for the rest of my life and just move up until I am old and bitter? To me, it sounds like I am losing myself and I don't want to run myself into oblivion without changing the way we all see food. (Im not really saying anything bad about aging chefs, but I just something different and to change the world.)

I could go on and on but I figured its best to cut to the chase and explain my plans. After I get my degree, I am going to learn Italian at the college and plan my trip to Italy. I plan to go on a hostel tour or just wonder around Europe to see who I am and what I need to do with my life. I'll still be a chef but a more artistic one and perhaps become a legend as one of the first "culinary artist" in America. I could still get a job, maybe earn some cash here and there. Although, I can still see myself more as a chef of the Underground and becoming a hero for American Underground Cuisine.

As for my writing. I will still be here, updating my site for years to come. I will try to write more. Although, I want to still keep my sights open to the Brony Chef Project and make Culinary Romanticism a driving force for New Age cuisine.

I simply want to share my thoughts about my future. It sounds devious and eccentric but I believe that I could change the culinary world for the better. So instead of relying the culinary arts for survival, people would want to be part of it and create a new Renaissance for chefs of any caliber to enjoy the creations of many. A new dawn has risen upon a chef in a new era.

--Chef Kyro April 13th, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment